This compilation is dedicated to Bill Bartell a.k.a. Pat Fear who sadly passed away in September 2013. White Flag took a few releases to get going but by '86/'87 they'd really hit their stride with some high quality releases, this being but one.
2. JIMMY & THE BOYS - 'Komputer Song' - Avenue LP - Australia - 1979
From 'Not Like Everybody Else'. This was a pretty theatrical band which revolved around vocalist and contortionist Ignatius Jones and kitsch transvestite keyboard player Joylene Thornbird Hairmouth. The evidence is here.
3. I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVY - 'Man's Not A Camel' - Virgin 7" - Australia - 1987
Staying with theatrical bands from the land of Oz, this gem was the B-side of 'Piranha' which you can see here. Doesn't that look like fun?
4. THE POPTICIANS - 'Mobile Home' - Peel Session - UK - 1983
Ah, John Hegley and the Popticians. The spectacle-obsessed joker at least raised a few smiles. It's not The Lewd, but . . .
5. THE FUNBOY 5 - 'Haircut Bob Dylan '66' - Peel Session - UK - 1979
More Peel session hilarity, this time from Hemel Hempstead.
6. THE VIEW - 'Impulse' - Lost Lunch 7" - USA - 1981
From Topanga, California. The flipside of 'Mention No Names'. The video for that one is here.
7. THE PROLES - 'Police' - Self-Released 7" - Australia - 1979
D.I.Y. punk from Oz. Again, let Wallaby Beat tell you all about it.
8. THE STEVES - 'Makin' Time' - Hundreds 7" - USA - 1980
Weirdness and fun from Boston. The first of two great singles.
9. WHITE FLAG - 'Instant Breakfast' - Starving Missile/Gasatanka LP - USA - 1986
The opening track from 'Zero Hour'. I used to jump about like crazy to this when they played here on one of their many sojourns overseas.
10. TERVEET KADET - 'T. Tuho' - Poko 7" - Finland - 1982
One of eight tracks from one of my favourite hardcore records, the 'Ääretön Joulu' E.P. An almost perfect record, from the screeching, damaged vocals through the lightning bolt guitar to the exquisitely tasteful sleeve.
11. THE ODDS - 'Don't Get Angry' - S&M 7" - USA - 1980
Weird and wonderful synth punk now. From the '1st 4' E.P. Turned out to be the only 4 too until they morphed into 'Modern Science'.
12. ROBYN HITCHCOCK - 'Brenda's Iron Sledge' - Armageddon LP - UK - 1981
Here's one from Mr Hitchcock's debut album 'Black Snake Diamond Röle'. All aboard...
13. THE POPTICIANS - 'Hello Everybody (My Glasses)' - Peel Session - UK - 1983
Another Peel session classic.
14. WHITE FLAG - 'Face Down' - Starving Missile/Gasatanka LP - USA - 1986
A second track from 'Zero Hour'.
15. TERVEET KADET - 'Pissaa Ja Paskaa' - Poko 7" - Finland - 1982
Another short, sharp shock from the 'Ääretön Joulu' E.P.
16. THE APPLIANCES - 'Living In America' - Applied Sciences 7" - USA - 1980
From their debut 4-song E.P. From Madison, Wisconsin.
17. THE FUNBOY 5 - 'Life After Death' - Peel Session - UK - 1979
Another from their Peel session. Better than the 7" version.
18. WHITE FLAG - 'Butterfly Evolution' - Starving Missile/Gasatanka LP - USA - 1986
A third track from 'Zero Hour'.
19. TERVEET KADET - 'Outo Maa' - Poko 7" - Finland - 1982
A third from the 'Ääretön Joulu' E.P.
20. THE UNTAMED - 'Happyland' - Live - UK - 1985
This lot lived just down the road from me. Their first release was a flexi which I put out with my zine '9 Years On' but it was duly slated by the punk community for being too weak. This live version is much better, recorded in Hawick Town Hall on the Scottish border. A grand day out it was.
21. THE VIEW - 'Mention No Names' - Lost Lunch 7" - USA - 1981
You've already seen the video so you may as well have the audio too.
22. WHITE FLAG - 'There's A Place' - Gasatanka LP - USA - 1984
An earlier hit from 'Third Strike' (which of course was their third album).
23. I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVY - 'Last Tram' - Virgin LP - Australia - 1987
One from their 'Fruit Loop City' album. Fun, as always.
24. THE POPTICIANS - 'Spare Pear (Song About Losing Your Glasses)' - Peel Session - UK - 1983
The spectacle was wearing thin, but what the hell. Also released as a 7".
25. WHITE FLAG - 'Jungle' - Starving Missile/Gasatanka LP - USA - 1986
The closing track from 'Zero Hour'. A masterpiece. They were still doing it in 2008.
Get it here