So we start with a track from the Tenpole's first album, 'Eddie, Old Bob, Dick and Gary'. 'Don't need an atlas to tell me where I've been'. Indeed.
2. THE (LEYTON) BUZZARDS - 'Sharp Young Men' - Chrysalis LP - UK - 1979
By the time their patchy album came out (From Jellied Eels To Record Deals) the 'Leyton' bit was dropped from their name. Not sure why, it was catchier with it. Chas Chandler was on board at this point so maybe it was his idea. The album itself is a strange mix of classics and disasters with little middle ground.
3. SPLODGENESSABOUNDS - 'Simon Templar' - Deram 7" - UK - 1980
Well, everyone goes for '2 Pints' from this 7" but the A-side is great in it's own right. Agree?
4. THE LURKERS - 'I Don't Need To Tell Her' - Beggars Banquet 7" - UK - 1978
By the time they released this, their 3rd single, they'd finally learned how to play. A bit. Also appears on the album 'Fulham Fallout'.
5. THE ZERO BOYS - 'Amphetamine Addiction' - Nimrod LP - USA - 1982
The second track from 'Vicious Circle'. Amphetamine-fuelled punk rock. For Rut from Totton-cum-Indiana.
6. THE SUBHUMANS - 'Refugee' - Friends LP - Canada - 1980
From the first album 'Incorrect Thoughts' which is, frankly, disappointing on the whole. There's a bit of a hoo-ha about the dodgy re-issue on CD Presents but you'll have to look it up as the whole thing sounds a bit contradictory to me.
7. SCHLIESSMUSKEL - 'Nachtgedanken' - We Bite 7" - Germany - 1986
From the 'Komm, Setz Dich Zu Uns' E.P. They were from Hamminkeln which kept me wondering for years where the hell I knew that name from. It's actually a small town twinned with Sedgefield, just down the road, which is where I was born and went to secondary school.
8. TENPOLE TUDOR - 'Header Now' - Stiff LP - UK - 1981
Another from 'Eddie, Old Bob, Dick and Gary'. Here's some footage of one of their better known singles.
9. SPLODGENESSABOUNDS - 'Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps' - Deram 7" - UK - 1980
Well, I was hardly going to leave it off, was I? 'Listen, I'm getting impatient, John!'
10. THE (LEYTON) BUZZARDS - 'Land Of The Free' - Chrysalis LP - UK - 1979
Another from 'Jellied Eels To Record Deals'.
11. THE SAUCERS - 'I Didn't Get It' - Orange 7" - USA - 1979
From a neat little 3-tracker. They did 3 singles in all which were collected (with extras) on a Grand Theft Audio CD.
12. SLICKEE BOYS - 'Forbidden Alliance' - Limp 7" - USA - 1979
From the 3rd E.P. of this Washington D.C. punk-psychedelic-garage-rock band.
13. SCHLIESSMUSKEL - 'Rita' - We Bite 7" - Germany - 1986
Another hit from the 'Komm, Setz Dich Zu Uns' E.P.
14. THE ADICTS - 'England' - Dwed LP - UK - 1981
From their debut LP 'Songs Of Praise'. OK, so Monkey could never really sing, but it never meant that much in the punk world and he was still a great front man regardless. Are they still going? Probably.
15. THE (LEYTON) BUZZARDS - 'We Make A Noise' - Chrysalis 7" - UK - 1979
This one appears on the LP and it was released as a single. 'We're full of East-End promise'. Geddit?
16. THE LURKERS - 'Pills' - Beggars Banquet 7" - UK - 1978
The B-side of 'I Don't Need To Tell Her' which is also a New York Dolls cover.
17. SPLODGENESSABOUNDS - 'Have You Got A Light Boy?' - Deram 7" - UK - 1981
From the 'Cowpunk Medlum' E.P. Another cover, this time of a song originally done in the year of my birth by Allan Smethurst aka The Singing Postman. Hilarious.
18. THE SAUCERS - 'What We Do' - Orange 7" - USA - 1979
Another from their debut 3-tracker.
19. TENPOLE TUDOR - 'Throwing My Baby Out With The Bathwater' - Stiff 7" - UK - 1981
Catchier than all their other singles.
20. THE SUBHUMANS - 'No Wishes No Prayers' - SST LP - Canada - 1983
I much prefer the second album to the first, probably because of the tighter new rhythm section, despite the naff sleeve. They'd split up by the time it was released.
21. THE LURKERS - 'Aint Got A Clue' - Beggars Banquet 7" - UK - 1978
The 4th single, also on 'Fulham Fallout'. Numerous issues, the original having a free gold (coloured) flexi-disc.
22. THE (LEYTON) BUZZARDS - 'No Dry Ice Or Flying Pigs' - Chrysalis 7" - UK - 1979
This one appears on the B-side of 'I'm Hanging Around'. Like the lyric 'And I can't think of another line to rhyme'.
23. THE ADICTS - 'Songs Of Praise' - Dwed LP - UK - 1981
The title track from 'Songs Of Praise', if you hadn't worked that out already. High camp recent live footage here.
24. TENPOLE TUDOR - 'Three Bells In A Row' - Stiff LP - UK - 1981
'Yesterday I had my dream, I won a quid on the fruit machine'. These boys were easily pleased.
25. SPLODGENESSABOUNDS - 'Yarmouth Five-O' - Deram Flexi Disc - UK - 1981
This was free with the 'Cowpunk Medlum' E.P. It caused great hilarity at the time, and still does.
Get it here