Thursday 20 August 2015

The Best of Brought To Life - 229

1. THE DWARVES - 'Back Seat Of My Car' - Sub Pop LP - USA - 1990
One of my avid readers told me recently: 'Although this is essentially a '70s / '80s blog, occasionally you dip into 1990 if a certain record warrants it . . . so why the hell haven't you dipped into 'Blood Guts & Pussy' yet?  Well, he had a point!
2. THE ED DAVIS BAND - 'Fuck Each Other' - Live Demo - USA - 1978
Hmmm, lot's of swearing on this CD. Never mind, eh? Gnarly-as-fuck punk rock from the bowels of Cincinnati. Visuals here.
3. THE COCKNEY REJECTS - 'Shitter' - EMI LP - UK - 1980
The Oi! banner from now on will be waved solely by the Rejects. From 'Greatest Hits Vol.1', of course.
4. PURRKUR PILLNIKK - 'Læknir' - Gramm 7" - Iceland - 1981
After the Icelandic bands in the last post everyone seems to want more. The thing is, after their initial punk outbursts most of them seemed to develop a more mid-paced post-punk style. Interesting though. This is from their first E.P. 'Tilf'.
5. THE DWARVES - 'Detention Girl' - Sub Pop LP - USA - 1990
Straight back to the mighty 'Blood Guts & Pussy'.  'It hurts so bad, I'm so glad!'
6. HÜSKER DÜ - 'Masochism World' - SST LP - USA - 1984
From the mighty 'Zen Arcade' double album.
7. ÞEYR - 'Lunaire' - Gramm 7" - Iceland - 1983
More Icelandic post-punk. This is from their final single.
8. THE COCKNEY REJECTS - 'I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles' - Zonophone 7" - UK - 1980
If you didn't support West Ham then you probably weren't that interested. Somehow, it made Top Of The Pops. See it here introduced by the vocalist of The Trainspotters (who did the classic 'High Rise' single). I shit you not.
9. THE DWARVES - 'Let's Fuck' - Sub Pop LP - USA - 1990
Another low down dirty anthem from 'Blood Guts & Pussy'.
10. SPENÓT - '80 As Ever' - Demo - Hungary - 1983
When you woke up this morning I bet you didn't think you'd be listening to Hungarian new wave, did you?
11. HÜSKER DÜ - 'Deadly Skies' - SST MLP - USA - 1983
'I'd like to protest but I'm not sure what it's for'. From the wonderful 'Metal Circus'.
12. GM49 - 'A Kása Forrón Jó' - Start 7" - Hungary - 1982
Jaunty Hungarian ska now. And why not? The flipside of 'Csináljatok Valamit'.
13. THE DWARVES - 'Drug Store' - Sub Pop LP - USA - 1990
This one was also the lead track of a 7" E.P.  'I killed my mother and my dad did not approve'.  Priceless. There's even a video.
14. THE COCKNEY REJECTS - 'Are You Ready To Ruck?'EMI LP - UK - 1980
Getcha boots out and let's all pile down the back street. 'R-r-r-r-r are ya ready to ruck?'  From 'Greatest Hits Vol.I'.
15. VONBRIGÐI - 'Skitseyði' - Gramm 7" - Iceland - 1982
Another spiky post-punk epic from Iceland. From their self-titled E.P.
16. HÜSKER DÜ - 'Chartered Trips' - SST LP - USA - 1984
One of the more relaxing tracks from 'Zen Arcade'.
17. THE DWARVES - 'Fuck You Up And Get High' - Sub Pop LP - USA - 1990
'Blood Guts & Pussy' was short but unrelenting. Just how I like it.
18. THE COCKNEY REJECTS - 'Headbanger' - EMI LP - UK - 1980
And a short one from the Rejects. From 'Greatest Hits Vol.I'.
19. ÞEYR - 'Maggasýn' - Eskvímó 10" - Iceland - 1981
This one's all in the beat, I guess. From their 'Iður Til Fóta' E.P.
20. SPENÓT - 'Wir Sind Modern' - Demo - Hungary - 1983
Do I detect a hint of Hungarian humour?
21. PURRKUR PILLNIKK - 'Surprise' - Gramm 7" - Iceland - 1982
I'm assuming this is an English language version of their track from 'Rok I Reykjavik'. From their second 7" 'No Time To Think'.
22. THE COCKNEY REJECTS - '(The're Gonna) Put Me Away' - EMI LP - UK -1980
Another stomper from 'Greatest Hits Vol.I'.
23. THE DWARVES - 'Insect Whore' - Sub Pop LP - USA - 1990
After listening to this one you'll probably want to hear 'Queen Wasp' by the Misfits. Well, I blogged it ages ago. Go search.
24. THE CHEATERS - 'It's Your Move' - Self Released 7" - USA - 1982
Some powerpop bittersweetness. Is that a word? It is now.
25. HÜSKER DÜ - 'It's Not Funny Anymore' - SST MLP - USA - 1983
More guitar-laden majesty from 'Metal Circus'.
***BONUS TRACKS***
26. THE DWARVES - 'Flesh Tantrum' (from 'Blood Guts And Pussy')
27. THE COCKNEY REJECTS - 'The New Song' (from 'Greatest Hits Vol.I')
28. SPENÓT - 'Modern Idol' (Demo '83)
29. THE DWARVES - 'SFVD' (from 'Blood Guts And Pussy')
30. VONBRIGÐI - 'Börnin þin' (from their s/t E.P.)
31. HÜSKER DÜ - 'What's Going On' (from 'Zen Arcade')
32. THE DWARVES - 'What Hit You' (from 'Blood Guts And Pussy')
33. ÞEYR - 'Public' (from 'The Fourth Reich' 12" E.P.)
34. THE COCKNEY REJECTS - 'Join The Rejects' (from 'Greatest Hits Vol.I')
35. THE DWARVES - 'Gash Wagon' (from 'Blood Guts And Pussy')

1 comment:

  1. I'm having trouble pronouncing some of these songs, but what a great comp!

    ReplyDelete