Tuesday 28 January 2014

The Best of Brought To Life - 044

1. ELVIS COSTELLO - 'No Action' - Radar LP - UK - 1978
The opening track from 'This Years Model', Elvis' second album.
2. THE BLUE MEANIES - 'Pop Sensibility' - Mercury 7" - UK - 1980
Great powerpop single. Video here. More info here.
3. THE CHEATERS - '(I Wanna Be A) Policeman' - Pre-Fab 7" - UK - 1980
From Manchester. From the Triple 'A' 7" E.P.  Here's the most comprehensive thing I've found on them, direct from Discogs.
4. ORPHAN - 'I Don't Want To Go (To Work Tomorrow)' - Orphan 7" - UK - 1979
'Hanging on to Sunday by your nails, one more day and you'll be back on the rails, throw the towel in, take a dive, doctor's notes in case you skive, bye bye best years of your lives'.
5. THE ELEVATORS - 'Your 'I's Are Too Close Together' - Koala 7" - UK - 1980
From Leicester. This is a nice little ditty about a girl who thinks she's it. Read all about them here.
6. THE BOYS - 'Sick On You' - NEMS LP - UK - 1977
First track from the self-titled debut album. See it coupled with Cop Cars performed live in 2009.
7. SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES - 'Nicotine Stain' - Polydor LP - UK - 1978
From their debut album 'The Scream', by far their best, which cut through all competition with it's menace and originality. See it performed live in 2009.
8. THE MONOCHROME SET - 'The Jet Set Junta' - Cherry Red 7" - UK - 1983
So suave. 'Tick-tock go the death watch beetles in él presidente’s swill, pop pop goes the Cliquot magnum at the reading of the will, hiss hiss goes the snakeskin wallet stuffed with Cruziero bills, here we come, the jet set junta!' Video here.
9. THE ROUSERS - 'Rock' n' Roll Or Run' - Ariola 7" - Netherlands - 1980
'We can make it, I know we can, we can make it, we don't need a plan'. One of those 'Come on baby, let's run away' songs. She was probably 13.
10. THE PASSIONS - 'Palava' - Fiction LP - UK - 1980
From their first album 'Michael and Miranda', much overlooked at the time and still is today. 'Talk to me in a logical way'. 
11. THE ORDINARYS - 'I Wanna Be An Ordinary' - Demo - UK - 1978
Best known for failing to make an impact on TV's 'New Faces' in 1978. Performance here. Full story here.
12. SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES - 'Jigsaw Feeling' - Polydor LP - UK - 1978
Another classic from 'The Scream'. Old Grey Whistle Test performance here.
13. ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ATTRACTIONS - 'Radio Radio' - Radar 7" - UK -1978
My favourite Elvis Costello track. 'I wanna bite the hand that feeds me, I wanna bite that hand so badly'. TOTP performance here.
14. BUNK DOGGER - 'Please Don't Tease' - RCA 7" - UK - 1979
Well, I guess the only way a Cliff Richard and the Shadows track was gonna appear here was via a cover version. So, I give you Bunk Dogger!
15. THE BOYS - 'T.C.P.' - NEMS LP - UK - 1978
A track from the second album 'Alternative Chartbusters'. How about Live in Stockholm 2010? Watch out for that dry ice!
16. ALTOS HORNOS DE VIZCAYA - 'La Danza Del Camaleon' - Discos Suicidas LP - Spain - 1987
For some reason I expected horns, but no, just a catchy Spanish rock ditty. From the album 'Bichos Raros Andan Por Las Calles'.
17. THE STALIN - 'Allergie' - Climax 7" - Japan - 1982
Love the intro. Wish I had the lyrics. At least we've all got the video.
18. NORMAN & THE HOOLIGANS - 'I'm A Punk' - President 7" - UK - 1977
Yes, it's a cash-in, fake punk, etc etc etc, whatever. 'You're too old, you're too slow, so move over, it's my go'. At least the sentiment was there!
19. SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES - 'Helter Skelter'Polydor LP - UK - 1978
Another prime cut from 'The Scream', this time doing a decent cover of one of the better Beatles tracks.
20. THE GYMSLIPS - '48 Crash' - Abstract 7" - UK - 1982
And now for a third cover version, another cracker, this one paying homage to the mighty Suzi Q! Is it better than the original? You decide.
21. THE CASSETTES - 'Reverberate' - Zip 7" - UK - 1981
Their only single. Let Bored Teenagers tell you all about them.
22. THE SICK AND THE LAME - 'Ate Days A Week' - Rude 7" - USA - 1979
Another Beatles cover, though hardly recognisable from the original. The B-side is called 'I Laugh At Dead Dogs'. What an 'orrible bunch!
23. SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES - 'Make Up To Break Up' - Demo - UK - 1977
One of their punkier demos that didn't quite make 'The Scream'. Live, it went something like this.
24. THE BOYS - 'Terminal Love' - Safari 7" - UK - 1980
Their 5th single (also on the 3rd album 'To Hell With The Boys') shows the Boys almost grown into men with this more mature tearjerker.
25. THE ROUSERS - 'Magazine Girl' - Torso 7" - Netherlands - 1979
And to finish, the 7" version of 'Magazine Girl'. You had the LP version a few collections ago on #34.
***BONUS TRACKS***
26. THE BOYS - 'Cop Cars'
27. ELVIS COSTELLO - 'I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea'
28. THE BOYS - 'Weekend'

Get it here

2 comments:

  1. I copied (1) Melvin Takes a Dive and (2) My Face is Dry from the Didjits Whoop my Head Demo on to a cassette long years ago and I just copied to MP3 if you want it. They're the only songs I liked from the demo. That said, they're still good songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can't get the whole tape then 2 songs is better than nothing. Cheers! E-mail me for anything you need in trade. If you like, upload them to zippyshare and send me the link. Can't wait!

      Delete