Monday, 7 September 2015
The Best of Brought To Life - 237
1. UPRIGHT CITIZENS - 'Bombs Of Peace' - H'art Musik MLP - Germany - 1982
I know of serious fallouts between people who prefer the original version of this to the later speeded up version. This is the original, the title track from their debut disc.
2. THE PANICS - 'Drugs Are For Thugs' - Gulcher LP - USA - 1981
One of the more 'punk' tracks from the 'Red Snerts' compilation album. Depending on your definition of 'punk', of course.
3. BUZZ & THE GANG - 'Hearts Waiting' - Throbbing Lobster LP - USA - 1985
A powerpop classic from 'Claws', and if you thought that sounds like a Throbbing Lobster compilation, you'd be right.
4. THE PROLETARIAT - 'Religion Is The Opium Of The Masses' - Modern Method LP - USA - 1982
After featuring a Groinoids track recently I thought it was high time to revisit 'This Is Boston Not L.A.' and dig up some more Proletariat.
5. THE MINUTEMEN - 'History Lesson' - SST LP - USA - 1981
Still more to come from 'The Punch Line' too.
6. STALIN & THE ICEPICKS - 'Lowest Class' - Demo - Sweden - 1981
From a gloriously lo-fi Scandinavian tradition. No releases in their own name I'm afraid other than one track on the 'Svenska Tonårsgrupper Vol. 3' comp.
7. THE LOW NUMBERS - 'Shok Treetments' - Big 7 Inch 7" - USA - 1976
A bit off a plodder here but with oodles of d-u-m-b proto punk charm.
8. UPRIGHT CITIZENS - 'Government Wins' - H 'art Musik LP - Germany - 1983
This one's from their second record 'Make The Future Mine And Yours'.
9. THE PROLETARIAT - 'Splendid Wars' - Radiobeat LP - USA - 1983
One from their first full length album 'Soma Holiday'.
10. THE VOLCANO SUNS - 'Tree Stomp' - Throbbing Lobster LP - USA - 1985
I don't remember their other stuff sounding this good, so maybe I'll have to revisit that too. From 'Claws'.
11. THE DEFEKTS - 'Peer Pressure' - Gulcher LP - USA - 1981
Another goodie from 'Red Snerts'.
12. THE MINUTEMEN - 'Song For El Salvador' - SST LP - USA - 1981
A short instrumental break from 'The Punch Line'.
13. THE UPRIGHT CITIZENS - 'Now Or Never' - H'art Musik MLP - Germany - 1982
Another track from 'Bombs Of Peace'.
14. THE FLIES - 'Say You Love Me' - Throbbing Lobster LP - USA - 1984
This is from yet another cool Throbbing Lobster comp. called 'Let's Breed'.
15. O-LEVEL - 'I Love To Clean My Polaris Missile' - Demo - UK - 1979
A frivolous little ditty. Love how it abruptly splutters to a halt at the end.
16. THE PROLETARIAT - 'Events/Repeat' - Radiobeat LP - USA - 1983
Another track from 'Soma Holiday'.
17. THE MINUTEMEN - 'Gravity' - SST LP - USA - 1981
And another from 'The Punch Line'.
18. LAST STAND - 'Let Go' - Throbbing Lobster LP - USA - 1985
Back to 'Claws'. Powerpop all the way.
19. THE UPRIGHT CITIZENS - 'Hated' - H 'art Musik LP - Germany - 1983
A second track from 'Make The Future Mine And Yours'.
20. THE EDGE - 'The Recruiter' - Throbbing Lobster LP - USA - 1984
Another from 'Let's Breed'. Recorded around the same time as their E.P.
21. THE LOW NUMBERS - 'All The Wrong Girls Like Me' - Demo - USA - 1977
A very funny song, on many levels. Maybe more than they were intending?
22. THE PROLETARIAT - 'Voodoo Economics' - Modern Method 7" - USA - 1982
Their track from 'Unsafe At Any Speed'.
23. CHATTERBOX - 'Forgotten Heroes' - Adventure 7" - Sweden - 1980
Their first single - there's another single and an album out there too.
24. THE MIGHTY IONS - 'Pedro Morales' - Throbbing Lobster LP - USA - 1985
Back to 'Claws'. Not sure why it's set to 'California Uber Alles', but it fits, I guess.
25. DNA - 'You & You' - Medical 7" - USA - 1978
No Wave was never my bag, but there's something strangely hypnotic about this one.
26. UPRIGHT CITIZENS - 'I Hate Church' (from 'Bombs Of Peace')
27. THE MINUTEMEN - 'Straight Jacket ' (from 'The Punchline')
28. THE PROLETARIAT - 'Decide On Change' '(from 'Soma Holiday')
29. STALIN & THE ICEPICKS - 'Folkets Heroin' (demo)
30. UPRIGHT CITIZENS - 'Fuck The Army' (from 'Bombs Of Peace')
31. THE ZERO BOYS - 'New Generation' (from 'Red Snerts')
32. THE PROLETARIAT - 'Allegiance' (from 'This Is Boston Not L.A.')
33. THE MINUTEMEN - 'Static' (from 'The Punchline')
34. THE UPRIGHT CITIZENS - 'Holocaust' (from 'Bombs Of Peace')
35. CHATTERBOX - 'The Visitor' (flipside of 'Forgotten Heroes')
36. THE PROLETARIAT - 'No Lesser Of Evils' (from 'Soma Holiday')