Monday, 3 August 2015
The Best of Brought To Life - 221
1. THE GUANA BATZ - 'The Cave' - Big Beat 7" - UK - 1984
We haven't had any psychobilly for a while, so here come the Batz!
2. PETER & THE TEST-TUBE BABIES - 'Guest List' - Trapper LP - UK - 1983
Another classic song about scrounging punks. From their second album 'The Mating Sounds Of South American Frogs'. Don't ask me why.
3. CHELSEA - 'Right To Work' - Peel Session - UK - 1977
Chelsea reprising their debut single on their debut Peel session. Few of us actually wanted to work, but we wanted the right!
4. THE EXPELLED - 'What Justice?' - Riot City 7" - UK - 1982
From their debut E.P. 'No Life No Future'.
5. INSTANT AGONY - 'Fashion Parade' - Half Man Half Biscuit 7" - UK - 1982
The lead track from their second E.P. ***Interesting fact alert*** When Half Man Half Biscuit were hauling their first album around various labels, local outfit Skeleton records declined to sign them but then cheekily asked if they could use their name for a jokey punk label, to which they agreed - not thinking that anyone would be interested in releasing their stuff!
6. ATTILA THE STOCKBROKER - 'Holiday In Albania' - Peel Session - UK - 1983
'20 Pints of Fosters and I'm away!' If you don't like Attila, shame on you!
7. ULTRA VIOLENT - 'Crime For Revenge' - Riot City 7" - UK - 1983
One of Riot City's best singles, yet somehow it's all they released!
8. THE DESPERATE BICYCLES - 'Skill' - Peel Session - UK - 1978
Inspirational teachings from the bowels of East London.
9. THE GUANA BATZ - 'Jungle Rumble' - Big Beat 7" - UK - 1983
One from their debut E.P.
10. INSTANT AGONY - 'No Sign Of Life' - Flicknife 7" - UK - 1983
Their third single. From Birkenhead, incidentally.
11. THE CARPETTES - 'Reach The Bottom' - Peel Session - UK - 1983
Nice riffage from a vastly inderrated band (at the time).
12. WRETCHED - 'Comme Un Cappio' - Chaos Produzioni LP - Italy - 1984
The opening track from debut album 'Libero Di Vivere / Libero Di Morire'. This is as close as they got to their blistering live sound.
13. THE EXPELLED - 'Cider' - Demo - UK - 1982
This one finally appeared in '85 on the Rot sampler 'A Kick Up The Arse Volume 1'.
14. THE CIGARETTES - 'Frivolous Disguise' - Peel Session - UK - 1980
Another Peel session goody.
15. INSTANT AGONY - 'Nicely Does It' - Flicknife 7" - UK - 1984
Fourth single, their last of the '80s.
16. ULTRA VIOLENT - 'Where The Angels Dare Not Tread' - Riot City 7" - UK - 1983
The slowest of the three songs on the E.P. but just as intense.
17. CHELSEA - 'I'm On Fire' - Peel Session - UK - 1978
My favourite Chelsea song. I'll blog any version I can find.
18. THE GUANA BATZ - 'Got No Money' - I.D. LP - UK - 1985
Here's one from their debut album 'Held Down To Vinyl . . . At Last!'
19. PETER & THE TEST-TUBE BABIES - 'The Jinx' - Trapper LP - UK - 1983
Another track from 'The Mating Sounds Of South American Frogs'.
20. DEXY'S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS - 'Geno' - Peel Session - UK - 1980
This is the only song by Dexy's I could get away with.
21. INSTANT AGONY - 'Think Of England' - Half Man Half Biscuit 7" - UK - 1982
Their debut single. Catalogue Number DUNK 1. Arf.
22. THE EXPELLED - 'Got No Cider' - Demo - UK - 1984
Same song as 'Cider' but recorded after Jo had left the band.
23. 1919 - 'Control' - Peel Session - UK - 1983
Very Killing Joke-esque, don't you think?
24. ZRO4 - 'Blood' - Chameleon LP - Canada - 1980
From the patchy 'No Pedestrians' compilation album.
25. CHELSEA - 'Hi-Rise Living' - Peel Session - UK - 1977
And another from their first Peel session. 'Times change, and we change too . . .'
26. INSTANT AGONY - 'Anti-Police' (from 'Fashion Parade' E.P.)
27. ULTRA VIOLENT - 'Dead Generation' (from 'Crime For Revenge' E.P.)
28. WRETCHED - 'Disperato Ma Vivo' (from 'Libero Di Vivere / Libero Di Morire')
29. INSTANT AGONY - 'Dead End Kids' (from 'Fashion Parade' E.P.)